Electrical Power System Lead Engineer
Company: GENERAL ATOMICS
Posted on: November 17, 2021
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an
affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable
remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as
well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity in our SkyGuardian UAS group. Under
general supervision with limited review, this position is
responsible for systems engineering and technical leadership for
the Avionics Electrical Power System (EPS) Sub-IPT. Initial focus
will be coordinating system-level design of aircraft power systems
for a new unmanned aircraft variant currently in development. Major
areas of development include refactoring power system avionics
designs for lightning protection, RTCA DO-178/DO-254 design
assurance, and upgraded power system capabilities.
Assignments are normally outlined in terms of overall objectives
and anticipated results. Work is reviewed at milestones or at
completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide technical leadership and ownership of the Avionics
Electrical Power System Sub-IPT
- Provide systems engineering support in conjunction with the
avionics design SMEs as follows:
- Aircraft level electrical power system architecture design and
integration for avionics and payload upgrades.
- Analyze and define system-level power requirements that flow
down to LRU-level requirements.
- Define and manage power budgets, power switch allocations,
battery duration determination/charts.
- Evaluates and guides electrical, mechanical, structural, and
software detailed designs to ensure system-level requirements are
- Analyze and troubleshoot test and integration issues of systems
on aviation platforms in system integration lab (SIL), production,
and flight test facilities by utilizing standard engineering and
- Provide project engineering support in conjunction with the
program management as follows:
- Working with Avionics IPT Lead, define work scope and
deliverables, budget estimates (NRE, materials, travel), and
schedule for next year and out-years tasking to support IRAD and
- Work with the functional engineering managers to ensure
priorities are well defined and resource allocations are planned to
ensure staffing is adequate to meet schedule.
- Responsible for management of power system LRU/subsystem
development and testing activities that are both in-house and
- Define status milestones and due dates to keep development on
track and ensure management awareness of task summaries, schedule
status, budget status, and technical issues as needed.
- Directs the activities of engineers, designers, technicians and
may direct the activities of less experienced professional
- Represent the Chief Engineer's office at design reviews and
Technical Interchange Meetings (TIMs) as follows:
- Attend design reviews and weigh-in on the technical, schedule
and budget needs of the program.
- Coordinate with functional design engineers from various
technical disciplines to solve relevant design issues (e.g.
Electrical, Mechanical, Software, Flight Tech, etc-) and keep
design efforts on track and within program scope.
- Act as technical representative for customer and management
meetings by presenting technical content at design reviews (e.g.
Certification Panels, SRRs, PDRs, CDRs, etc-).
- Work with program managers to provide technical coordination of
vendors and suppliers by ensuring SOWs and technical specifications
are written and correct.
- Coordinate meetings and technical reviews with responsible
design engineers and subcontractors.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other
applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted
on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with
established operating procedures and practices.We recognize and
appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse
backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals
Job Qualifications:Typically requires a bachelor's degree, master's
degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from
an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as
follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelor's degree,
seven or more years of experience with a master's degree, or four
or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering
experience in lieu of education.Demonstrates an extensive technical
expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts,
theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule,
conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or
milestones with some experience in project leadership.Must possess
the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them
accurately throughout an evolving environment.Strong communication,
presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an
effective interface with other departments and/or professionals,
and capable of representing the organization as a prime technical
contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less
experienced professionals.Customer focused, formulates plans based
on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced
technical engineering problems. Must be able to work both
independently and in a team environment.Able to work extended hours
- Must have experience with electronics development and
- Background in avionics design (aircraft electronics, mechanical
packaging) is desired.
- Specific background developing hardware for military
applications is desired.
- Experience with schematic capture, printed circuit board
layout, and/or thermal analysis for airborne environments is
- Experience working as a Cost Account Manager (CAM) and an
understanding of Earned Value Management (EVM) is desired.
- Experience with FAA Regulations or MIL Specifications
- Able to travel to flight test facilities in Southern California
and Arizona as required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain DoD security clearance is
Keywords: GENERAL ATOMICS, Encinitas , Electrical Power System Lead Engineer, Other , Encinitas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!