Phlebotomist (Full Time) - Encinitas
Company: Sonic Healthcare USA
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position
As a Phlebotomist at WestPac Labs, you will be responsible for
performing venipuncture to obtain blood samples from patients,
collecting various specimens from patients, and labeling blood
vials that you have obtained. You will also be responsible for
preparing specimens to be brought to one of our laboratories for
medical testing. A successful Phlebotomist at WestPac Labs will be
detail-oriented, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and have
the capability to multitask frequently and efficiently.
A Phlebotomist at WestPac Labs will:
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure Patient Service Center (PSC) remains in compliance with
Company Policy and with Federal, State, CAP, HIPAA and CLIA
- Welcome and greet patients, obtain and verify patient
information, input patient information into laboratory information
system, provide patients with explanation of billing process, and
collect payments for services through a variety of methods.
- Assemble equipment such as tourniquets, needles, and disposable
containers for needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton,
and alcohol on work tray according to requirements for specified
tests or procedures.
- Utilize personal protective equipment (PPE) and follow all
safety and standard protection guidelines.
- Perform venipuncture on patients with an evacuated or butterfly
method. Dermal puncture techniques may be used, as necessary.
- Withdraw needle, apply treatment to puncture site, label
specimen, and perform initial stages of specimen processing. Must
accession patient specimens accurately and log with appropriate
documentation. Organize and prepare specimens for courier
- May be required to perform courier runs to outside draw
stations, clients, or other locations, as necessary.
- Responsible for ordering and replenishing Patient Service
Center (PSC) supplies.
- Must adhere to department's dress code, grooming and personal
- Must maintain an organized and professional working environment
at designated work location.
- Dispose of contaminated sharps in accordance with applicable
federal and state laws, standards, and policies.
- Organize and clean blood-drawing carts to ensure that all
instruments and collection materials remain sterile.
- Dispose of all biohazardous waste in accordance with applicable
Federal and State laws along with Company Policies and
- Perform specimen collections at specific time intervals for
patients participating in fasting or monitoring their therapeutic
- Provide sample analysis results to physicians to assist with
diagnosis, as necessary.
- Provide patients with explanations of phlebotomy procedures
- Ensure high-risk patients are provided with pre- and
post-venipuncture care, including but not limited to, taking
additional precautions when a patient has a history of
- Participate in and support all Quality Assurance and Quality
Improvement endeavors for the laboratory, as applicable.
- In addition to typical work schedule, may be scheduled to work
weekends, provide coverage to other sites, work split shifts,
overtime, holidays, and attend mandatory phlebotomy meetings, as
- Other duties may apply, as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Be customer service oriented, possess strong interpersonal
skills, and maintain a positive and friendly attitude when
interacting with patients, clients, and other departments.
- Possess the ability to read, write, and speak English language.
Must have legible handwriting.
- Be proficient at data entry and be detail-oriented.
- Understand administrative and clerical processes and systems
such as word processing software and electronic files and
- Have the ability to use active listening and self-monitoring
while interacting with patients and clients.
- Demonstrate a high degree of autonomy and possess exceptional
time management skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain cultural competence while
interacting with patients from various demographics.
Required Education and Experience:
- Have a completed high school diploma or equivalent.
- Have a minimum of one year's experience in a Patient Service
- Hold a valid State of California CPT I Certificate. Continuing
education as dictated by governmental agencies required for
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Have successfully completed an accredited Certified Medical
Assistant (CMA) program with all externship hours fulfilled.
- Have experience as Medical Laboratory Assistant.
- Be trained on Basic Life Support (BLS) / Cardiopulmonary
- Possess Bilingual/Multilingual language speaking skills.
- Meet applicable company insurance guidelines and release
Department of Motor Vehicles driving records if required to drive
or operate a company vehicle in the performance of their duties.
Must comply with company driving policies and procedures.
- Participate in occasional travel to interact with Division
personnel, attend meetings, or participate in educational training,
- Have the ability to require lifting and carrying objects up to
- Be able to reach, stoop/bend, kneel/crouch, push/pull, and
- Engage in moderate to frequent computer work.
- Engage in moderate to frequent use of telephone and fax.
- Have the ability to see, hear, talk, and respond
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
WestPac Labs, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to
all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and
Keywords: Sonic Healthcare USA, Encinitas , Phlebotomist (Full Time) - Encinitas, Other , Encinitas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!