Assistant Director of Finance
City of Encinitas Finance Department
Wage/Salary: $9,114 - $14,139
Date Posted: Monday, August 17, 2020
Date Closing: Friday, September 18, 2020
URL for this job:
The Assistant Director of Finance is responsible for planning,
organizing, and directing the day-to-day services and activities of
the Finance Department. The incumbent is responsible for Investment
Officer Duties and/or Debt Issuance and Management.
Example of Duties:
* Plans, directs, coordinates, and evaluates the work plan for
assigned staff; prioritizes and assigns work activities, projects,
and programs; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and
procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems.
* Assists the Department Director in the administration and
coordination of the preparation and execution of services or
functions within Finance Department; oversees the day-to-day
operations of the department.
* Responsible in overseeing the accounting operations division
including accounting, payroll, billing, and customer service
functions, services, and activities.
* Assists Department Director in planning and directing the
development and administration of the City's annual operating and
capital improvement budget. Prepares and analyzes revenue and
expenditures for the preparation of long-term financial
* Assists Department Director in the coordination of all audits,
year-end activities, and monthly, quarterly, and annual financial
reporting, including the preparation and review of the
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the State Controller's and
Street Reports, and all required government report filing.
* Assists Department Director in the administration of the
City's Treasury, Management and Investment Program and in auditing
the City's financial records and accounts. Prepares and analyzes
complex cash flow projections and evaluates alternative investment
vehicles utilizing risk-based models.
* Manages and administers relationships with broker/dealers,
custody services providers, and bankers.
* Maintains an extensive in-depth knowledge of the City's
investment tracking software.
* Assists the Department Director in Debt Issuance and
Management pursuant to City Policy and Procedure.
* Provides general direction to Finance Department staff and
coordinates all issues needing council approval or policy direction
for the department.
* Prepares and directs the preparation of a variety of detailed
reports related to departmental operations and activities; reviews
and authorizes written reports for the City and subsidiary
divisions developed by subordinate staff; prepares reports for the
* Assists the Department Director in creating goals and
strategies for Long Term Financial Planning.
* Negotiates, prepares, and reviews complex agreements and
* Develops and implements departmental goals and objectives;
evaluates effectiveness of divisions and recommends policy or
* Investigates and resolves the most complex inquiries,
requests, and customer complaints.
* Develops and administers the department budget, reviews, and
approves expenditures, identifies areas for improvement.
* Coordinates financial activities with other departments,
outside agencies, and the general public.
* Supervises a variety of organizational studies,
investigations, and operational studies; recommends modifications
to department programs, policies, and procedures, as
* Conducts special financial studies involving the analysis of
complex finance data.
* Evaluates and implements recommended improvements to the
City's administrative and financial internal control systems and
procedures to safeguard City assets and ensure compliance.
* Oversees the monitoring and maintenance of the City's
computerized accounting and financial reporting system.
* Presents to the City Council and a variety of boards and
commissions; attends and participates in professional group
meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field
of finance and other services as they relate to the area of
* Provides highly responsible staff assistance to the Department
Director and acts as the Department Director in their absence on an
* Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business
Administration or a related field plus six recent years of
progressively responsible experience related to area of assignment
including two years of administrative management and supervisory
experience (preferably local government), or an equivalent
combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully
perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
A Master's degree, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified
Public Finance Officer (CPFO) are desirable. Bachelor's Degree in
Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a related field
plus six recent years of progressively responsible experience
related to area of assignment including two years of administrative
management and supervisory experience (preferably local
government), or an equivalent combination of education and
experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties
of the job such as those listed above. A Master's degree, Certified
Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO)