Principal Software Engineer
Company: Abbott Laboratories
Posted on: June 19, 2022
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries.Principal Software Engineer
- 31027308 Carlsbad, CAAbbott is a global healthcare leader that
helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio
of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare,
with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical
devices, Nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000
colleagues serve people in more than 160 countriesAbout
AbbottDiagnostic testing is a compass, providing information that
helps in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of a range of
health conditions.Abbott's life-changing tests and diagnostic tools
give you accurate, timely information to better manage your health.
We're empowering smarter medical and economic decision-making to
help transform the way people manage their health at all stages of
life. Every day, more than 10 million tests are run on Abbott's
diagnostics instruments, providing lab results for millions of
people.Our location in Carlsbad, CA currently has an opportunity
for a Principal Software Engineer within our Cardiometabolic &
Informatics business unit. - The position of Senior Software
Engineer is within our Cardiometabolic business unit located in San
Diego, California. - This role will deliver software solutions for
our current and next generation of instrument software platforms. -
In this position, the candidate will be responsible for the
requirements, design specifications, and final implementation of
the software. The ideal candidate for this position will be an
experienced engineer who has demonstrated success in designing,
documenting and implementing high-quality application-level
embedded software (Embedded OS, Business Logic, DB) on different
real-time environments and platforms (e.g. -C, SoC).WHAT YOU'LL
- Develop systems to support manufacturing, calibration or
testing of an In-vitro Diagnostic product In-vitro Diagnostic
- Design software component(s) according to design inputs and
architecture, including code development to implement new
functionality or change existing.
- Design and development of high-quality database solutions to
ensure the accuracy, reliability and consistency of the data during
any operation such as data manipulation, data retrieval, data
storage, backup/restore operation etc.
- Develop test procedures to ensure quality.
- Perform unit tests to meet coverage goals.
- Trace design outputs to design inputs.
- Fix defects found during the implementation process or reported
by the software test team.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product Scientists and
- Demonstrates commitment to the development, implementation and
effectiveness of Abbott Quality Management System per ISO, FDA, and
other regulatory agencies.
- Understands and is aware of the quality consequences which may
occur from the improper performance of their specific job; has
awareness of device defects that may occur in their area of
responsibility, including product design, verification and
validation, manufacturing and testing activities.
- Responsible for exhibiting professional behavior with both
internal/external business associates that reflects positively on
the company and is consistent with the company's policies and
practices; build productive internal/external working relationships
with both local and international project teams.
- Carries out duties in compliance with established business
- Other duties as assigned, according to the changing needs of
the business. -EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRINGRequired
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, EE
- 8+ years of experience as a software engineer designing and
supporting the development of complex embedded systems.
- Excellent programming skills in C/C++ and Python for real-time
- Experience developing software in various RTOS environments
(e.g. Windows Embedded Compact/CE, QNX, Linux/Ubuntu Embedded,
- Demonstratable Medical Device Development Experience -
Requirements, Detailed Design Specifications, Unit Testing,
Protocol Development, and execution.
- Knowledge of Medical Device regulations (ISO 13485, ISO 14971,
IEC 62304, 21 CFR part 820.30-Design Controls, FDA SW
- Experience in delivering highly embedded and portable systems
in a regulated industry (e.g. Medical Devices, Automotive,
- Able to take complex designs from concept to implementation
with minimal supervision.WHAT WE OFFER At Abbott, you can have a
good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for
new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation,
incentives, and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental,
vision, wellness, and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial
performance and a history of being actively involved in local
communitiesLearn more about our benefits that add real value to
your life to help you live fully: - Follow your career aspirations
to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides
the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal
Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.Connect with
us at , on Facebook at , and on Twitter @AbbottNews and
Keywords: Abbott Laboratories, Encinitas , Principal Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Encinitas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!