Director of Spiritual Life
Company: Seacrest Village Retirement Communities
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Job Location: Corporate -Encinitas - Encinitas, CA
Position Type: FT/Exempt
Salary Range: Undisclosed
Job Shift: AM Shift
Director of Spiritual Life-FT/ExemptDear Applicant: WE are about
Passion.People.Purpose. WE are Seacrest Village Retirement
Communities, a not-for-profit 501c senior housing organization. No
matter what your job/position is at Seacrest Village, you share
with all the people here, one principle function - to ensure our
residents receive the best care and service ---The one thing you
will always be held accountable for is the exercise of your best
judgment. If you enjoy working with and/or around seniors, and
associates who work as a team in every sense of the word, then you
deserve to work for an employer like Seacrest Village Retirement
Communities. Best of luck in your search!
I. BASIC PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Serves as Rabbi for residents of Seacrest Village Retirement
Communities, implements, develops and directs Jewish cultural and
religious programs. Provides spiritual support to our residents and
serves as a Jewish resource for the Seacrest staff.
II. CUSTOMER/CLIENTS SERVED BY POSITION:
Seacrest Village residents, family members, visitors, staff and
III. OUTCOME WHEN JOB IS WELL DONE:
The Jewish environment of Seacrest Village is enhanced. Religious
services and Jewish
programs are developed, and coordinated with members of the team
responsible for the overall
resident activity programs. Residents and families are aware of
such programs. Serves as a
positive representative of Seacrest Village to the larger Jewish
IV. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelors degree, Rabbi with recognized ordination, qualifies for
membership in the San Diego Rabbinical Association (SDRA).
V. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Five (5) years experience preferred in pastoral work, preferably
with seniors. Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) highly desirable.
Experience in developing and leading religious services and
VI. SKILLS, LICENSE, CERTIFICATION, AND/OR SPECIAL TRAINING
Must have the ability, desire and compassion to work with the
elderly. Must be able to work successfully with a team, including
medical and healthcare professionals, families and staff. Must have
the necessary skills to lead religious services. Must be able to
communicate in Hebrew, chant Torah, and know proper nusach or
melodies for appropriate occasion. Proficiency in the English
language a must. Exhibits and possesses good verbal and written
skills. Must be a good listener and able to communicate
effectively. Able to pass pre-employment physical/TB test and
obtain fingerprint clearance as required by our licensure. Good
mental and physical maturity. Pleasant yet strong character that
exhibits an empathetic approach to our elderly and family members.
Extensive background knowledge is required on the Holocaust, State
of Israel, Jewish history and holidays, customs, ceremonies,
Yiddish culture and what is current in the Jewish world today.
Knowledge of conversational Yiddish a plus.
- ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES THAT MUST BE SAFELY PERFORMED WITH OR
WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION WITHOUT POSING A DIRECT THREAT TO
OTHER EMPLOYEES, RESIDENTS, OR SELF:
WORK PERFORMANCE - job knowledge, quality, productivity, planning,
- Plans, coordinates, directs and evaluates the facilities'
religious services and Jewish cultural programs.
2. Able to lead and also coordinate Jewish services for Shabbat and
3. Able to chant Torah.
4. Knowledge of proper nusach or melodies for appropriate
5. Report change of any resident's behavior, physical or emotional
condition to appropriate person in charge of
that specific division or department.
6. Exercise independent judgment where procedures can't be
- Communicates precisely on answers and questions regarding
Jewish customs, ceremonies, history, holidays, etc.
8. Maintains positive attitude and works cooperatively with all
9. Builds a community feeling among residents while observing the
10. Encourage, participate and assist in resident participation in
11. Enlivens and enriches the lives of residents through religious
and cultural programs.
- Attends new hire orientation to educate staff about Jewish
Holidays and traditions
- Be available for residents and family for spiritual and ritual
needs of those very ill and/or who have died.
14. Officiates at memorial services held at Seacrest.
15. Provides programs for residents and coordinates with the
Activity Department personnel to enhance all
- Available for residents in a spiritual counseling
- Observes and follows safety policies; to include but not
limited to reporting
- Must report all work related injuries timely, wear appropriate
safety equipment and security access name
- Timely completion of work assignments.
20. Works as a team player.
21. Able to communicate effectively with and relate well to the
22. Ability to read and interpret written procedures and
23. Maintains a pleasant courteous attitude with residents, family
members and staff.
24. Preserves the dignity and self respect of all residents at all
25. Attends in-service training programs as required
26. Contacts family members of those who have passed to express
condolence, offer support and
discuss/arrange/coordinate memorial service.
27. Visits residents in the hospital and develop a volunteer
program to visit the sick.
FACTORS AFFECTING WORK PERFORMANCE - attendance, reliability,
interpersonal, adaptability, judgment, mission, adherence to policy
& regulatory requirements.
- Regular, punctual attendance. Schedule to include weekends,
evenings, holidays and special events.
- All other tasks and special projects as delegated by the VP of
- Inform senior administrative staff of significant resident
changes and needs.
- Participate in management, staff and other meetings to support
- Represent Seacrest Village and department in a professional
manner within an outside the community.
- Exhibit a positive attitude and dress within SV
- Serve as a Jewish resource for staff and help them understand
the Jewish customs and traditions as observed by our residents,
families and guests.
8. Interpersonal - Create and maintain a positive work environment
based on individual respect, responsibility, personal and
9. As a matter of SV policy and federal and state law; attends
HIPAA training, follows HIPAA
"needs to know" guidelines on all
PHI information and reports non-compliance violations to Privacy
- As a mandated reporter per DOJ requirements; attends Mandated
Reporter Abuse training meetings, will report all abuse incidents;
physical, emotional, financial, sexual, verbal, completing
the 1) SOC 341 form, mailing or faxing, 2) calling the ombudsmen
and/or department of health
services; for Assisted Living and Independent Living, call
ombudsmen, and APS (adult protective
11. Follow the corporate compliance standard and employee code of
conduct by performing
work with an ethical behavior and utilizing proper business conduct
practice that complies with applicable laws, rules and regulations;
by serving the
residents, preserving the organizational reputation, maintaining
resident/employee trust and
community respect. Report non-compliance or concerns to Corporate
- Accounting - Assists COO in budget preparation; Operates within
an approved budget; turns in timely budget recommendations on
current and future departmental budget. Code invoices and submit
timely for payment. Keep accurate records and provide figures to
- Fire/Disaster, Safety and Workers Compensation - know
facility's Fire Evacuation and Disaster
Plan. Promote a safe environment within the facility which includes
fire and accident prevention,
maintenance of sanitary conditions and assurance that all assigned
staff understand their role in the
event of a disaster or other disruption of services. Observes
safety regulations, ensures staff wear and
use appropriate equipment, first aid kits are supplied and
replenished, reports employee incidents
immediately to HR and completes paperwork; investigates and
provides work injury prevention
solutions for future training.
14. Payroll - completes timesheet appropriately and accurately in
current pay period
adhering to the exempt employee time recording procedures.
VIII. EQUIPMENT REQUIRED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF ESSENTIAL JOB
1. Copier, 2. Computer and printer, 3. Fax
IX. NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Provides marketing tour or information.
X. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Frequently is required to walk, stand, and bend. Must be able to
talk and hear well. Good vision is imperative; close, distance,
peripheral; depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Able to
lift and or move items weighing more than 25 lbs with appropriate
assistance and equipment. Able to bend, stand, walk and lift in all
units. Occasional assistance in helping residents from seated to
Keywords: Seacrest Village Retirement Communities, Encinitas , Director of Spiritual Life, Executive , Encinitas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!